Monday, February 23, 2009

Mon Feb 23 - Table Talk Day One

My eyes are bigger than my stomach. Or rather, I knew I was piling too much into one evening, but I couldn't resist. Ah well, the work acheived reflects quality before quantity, and there's nothing there to be sorry for! In the end, we worked 2 1/2 of the 4 scenes called - not a great average if I was keeping stats, and would drive an SM crazy - but since I don't keep score or have an SM yet, I will keep whistling to myself and happily reflect on the progress we made this evening.

I think the achievement of the evening was a good thorough working of Scene 1. In a play where action and reaction are actual themes, it was important to establish the chain of action and to start thinking (collectively as well as in our individual work) about the choices and how those choices fit into the larger patterns. The antagonism between Dan and Larry, for example, manifests clearly in their brief encounter. Not that it would be overstated or given particular emphasis, but it establishes a relationship rhythms that may prove helpful.

This also gave an opportunity to begin the lengthy process of unravelling the mystery of Alice. Working with L to discover the difference between her truths and lies will be great fun. I don't want to push or force choices yet, because there is still so much text to sift. It does feel a bit like panning for gold - patience and repetition will pay off. I think we all need to have more time with both the text and the world to find answers.

I am looking forward to the banter bits we found - I must keep my lantern trained on the script looking for more of them. The lightness (spiritually, not content-wise) of those moment will be crucial to keep the tone of the overall piece inviting. Find the fun, or else!

L was released early, and we had an engaging reading, discussion and evaluation of Scene 3 - the infamous internet chat. On the one hand, hilarity will ensue. On the other, I must continue to contain my personal sense of sympathy for Larry. Both S and D recognize the tremendous fun and risk of the scene - I want to ensure the staging helps them, especially with the projections. I can already foresee this scene becoming a polish priority, in some ways it will run like a dance, once we have nailed down the visual story.

We scratched the surface of the surgery scene (10), but with a tortoiseshell comb, not a diamond cutter. There are so many thrust/parries in that duel we could spend an entire evening just there. But that is not in the cards - instead I focused on the need to elevate the fight and raise the stakes - for the audience, rather than a specific character - by giving Dan permission to struggle up to each point of confrontation. Why does he go to see Larry? Why does he linger when he is so throughly attacked and trounced? I still need to think on it before we revisit. Must say, it was nice to hear Larry win, especially right back to back with Scene 3.

Thanks all for a very thoughtful and productive evening. Stay warm!

0 comments:

 
Designed by suckmylolly.com