Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thurs Feb 26 - Four(play) at Table

We weren't actually at a table again, but rather hanging out in the library of my basement. Which was nice and relaxed, but I admit rehearsing in my basement makes me want to work in jammies. This is not exactly a "dress for success" attitude. I resisted my flannels, but other distractions did pop up, like the magnificent (and allergy inducing, sorry D) Doyle Cat, and the bouncy bebe V. Nevertheless, I was glad people made the trek out east so we didn't lose an evening work.

Once we got down to it, the work was crisp and moved smoothly. Scenes called: 2 - Anna's studio and Scene 11 - hotel. A meeting, and a parting. We did the work in sensible chronological order. That is the logical way to proceed - not only do we find parallels and word echos, there is the very practical consideration of being able to let T out after her scene. It's the best idea. BUT...while I am not a unsettled as I felt after the work-through of scene 12, scene 11 is certainly also a heartbreaker. Making these observations in our first full week makes me think I need some post-rehearsal ritual or something to shake off the emotional drain. Credit to both the playwright and the cast for provoking this reaction, by the way.

In the scenes, there was some nice banter work as well as emotional and physical turmoil. Both scenes are well set to start blocking next week.

An interesting point that came up in Scene 2 is the odd kinship that appears between Alice and Anna when they have time alone. There isn't a clear reason for it. And yet it is always there. I want to think about this some more. What does this dynamic give each character, and how will it manifest in the staging?

On Sunday we start blocking, despite the fact we haven't talked through scenes 4, 7, and 9. I had been getting a bit tense about this, but I've calmed down about it. After all, the work has been going very smoothly and the cast are putting in the work, so it's reasonable to put it on its feet and trust we'll bridge the gaps.

Now: a spagetti sauce sandwich and bed! I hope for better dreams tonight!

0 comments:

 
Designed by suckmylolly.com