Wednesday, March 4, 2009

At the Gallery - Tues Mar 3, Blocking 2

I'm writing this blog update as I am prepping for the next day, so it seems a weird activity. So far I have found the blogging to be a great exercise post-rehearsal to get my head wrapped around the work. This week my little tyrant child is needing a lot of...everything, and I have not had a moment to breathe and reflect on the work of last night.

But as I sit here surrounded by toddler sized sliced grapes and toast points, I am warmed by thoughts of the work we accomplished yesterday. It was our first day in Dancemakers - Irish Players have Alumnae rented, and NIF is in mad mad rehearsal, so we had to find another place to play. The studio is excellent, and gave us exactly the room we needed to look at the Gallery scene (5). It gives approximately the width of the stage, and was warm! Nearly cozy, especially on a night as frigid as that.

We had a head start on the scene, with the extra time last Sunday, so we were able to make very good time through the work. It is one of the only scenes that use the full stage, so I wanted to take advantage of the space, but still needed to have some very intimate moments. The scene divides into a Dan/Alice, an Alice/Larry, a Dan/Anna, and a Larry/Anna section. The D/A is roughly CS, the A/L came DR and uses the edge of the platform (creates a really interesting shift in tone and focus - I'm falling in love with that blocking), the D/An is just DRC, mostly, with some deliberate crosses that are microstories into themselves, and the L/An focuses SL and ends UL. I'm very pleased with the variety and complexity/simplicity of the images, and for the scene with the most romantic intrigue, I think we'll go over gangbusters.

This rehearsal was very good for my director mental health. I had spent the whole day fretting no actors would show up, or be able to find the room, or....fill in the blank there. I have been wearing the SM cape draped very very loosely around my shoulders, and it's a bad fit and colour for me. I have been feeling that I am dropping balls all over the place, and really want to give my full focus to the directing task. Last night I had a bit of my "directorheroin" - my own personal slang for excellently planned and executed blocking - and it provides a solid boost both in personal and in show confidence. This was also the first time we've had full cast in to block, and the dynamic in the room is loose, but committed, fun but focused. It's a good group - not news to me or anyone who's had the pleasure to see them work, but at times when stress creeps up my neck it is very affirming to see it in action.

Up next: Scene 6 Domestic Interiors- or as my imaginary title has it...Everything Goes to S**t. Now, to make that one good fun too. Maybe I should bring a whoopee cushion.

0 comments:

 
Designed by suckmylolly.com